Thursday, October 21, 2010

More interim True Blood research

 A chart of the scenes that satisfy the Bechdel-Wallace test in seasons 1 & 2 of True Blood.


Some idle thoughts:

1) Sookie isn't getting as many female-female scenes as Tara.  But Tara is not only the B-story, she also symbolizes the "women's world", with which Sookie is only occasionally associated.

2) The spike in the middle is the first 2 episodes of S2, where we first meet Maryann, who spends a lot of time interacting with Tara. Once that storyline is established it's no longer necessary to keep giving us a lot of girl-girl scenes, apparently.

3) I really had to stretch it in the later episodes to give anyone any points at all, especially Sookie.  Many of these scenes are quite literally 1 line from each female, and I have been giving 0.5 points if 2 female characters talk, but it IS about a man.  

So for example in 2.7, Arlene and Tara talk, but about whether Arlene may have had sex with Terry; that's a half point.  Later in that episode Maryann and Daphne speak very briefly, one line each. 

Daphne: "I've missed you!" 
Maryanne: "Thank you, for your service." And then she motions Eggs forward to murder Daphne. 

I gave that 1 point.

  Or in 2.10, "New World In My View", I gave one point for the conversation between Jessica and Hoyt's mom, but in fact the conversation is almost entirely between Hoyt and his mom, who is contemptuously ignoring Jessica while insulting her - to Hoyt.  But the last two lines are between the two women: 

Jessica: "Give me one reason not to drain you!"
Hoyt's Mom: "I don't have to give you nothin."  And then Jessica fastens onto her neck.

I gave that 1 point.

I've also been counting conversations between women where a man is present, or conversations that are implicitly about men (e.g. the one between Jessica and Hoyt's Mom), but the man isn't explicitly named; just to be able to come up with some points.

In the last episode I gave 1 point to the confrontation between Maryann and Sookie, even though Sookie doesn't speak.  (Maryann shouts "this is your fault" vel. sim. twice, and then tries to kill her.  Sookie says nothing, and runs.)  It was female/female interaction however, so I figured I'd give it 1 point.

4) In both seasons, Sookie has, early on, a fair number of female-female scenes, and then nothing.  In S2 this happens faster.  I'm wondering if what we're seeing here is a developmental arc: in each season, we start with Sookie situated in the childhood world, that is, the world of women, accompanied by her grandmother (S1) or her best friend since childhood (S2), and her female co-workers.  But then she moves into the "adult" world, with the male boyfriend, the mostly-male vampires, and the women's world is left behind. 

5) at the end of S2 Sookie has to be saved by male activity (Sam and Bill).  At the end of S1 Sam and Bill try and fail to save Sookie, who ultimately saves herself.

Season 3 is coming: I haven't finished watching it yet.  


No comments:

Post a Comment