Because, you know, you can't admit that pretty much ALL the work in a hive is done by the female bees. That would emasculate the 6 year olds watching the movie?
Or, wait, it would only emasculate the MALE 6 year olds, which would only be half of ... right, right, but they're the half that COUNTS. The opinions of the little ovary-bearers doesn't matter. I always forget.
Apparently telling the little boys the truth about the bees would emasculate them - so let's by all means lie to keep them happy. Because even the tiny little male egos of 6 year olds aren't equipped to handle the truth. And as for the girls in the audience - well, it's not like they matter but if they did, how is there a downside to telling that in the entire universe, girls are never anything but mommies and sex toys? That's the lie that Made Our Culture Great.
Well, fuck, when did I ever think Jerry Seinfeld was anything approaching a feminist. And at least I now know not to waste money on this dog even as a renter.
Pandagon cites the "Bechdel Movie Measure" which I love and had not thought to apply to children's movies, but I certainly should. No movie passes the Bechdel Movie Measure does not do the following three things:
- There must be at least two women in the film
- Who talk TO EACH OTHER
- About something other than a man.
Seems simple enough. Now try to think of a kid's movie (substitute "male/female" for "man/woman") that passes that rule.
Keep thinking ...
No comments:
Post a Comment